The Arc of Tennessee ®
Related Disability Links
The links listed are not necessarily endorsed by The Arc Tennessee and should be checked out thoroughly. Note that we only list links that are applicable to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families and we try not to duplicate information.
- Ability Corps: purpose is to create a world of inclusion and awareness for people with disabilities.
- Ability Jobs: resume bank for people with disabilities that is shared with companies.
- Ability Magazine: magazine covering disability issues.
- AbleData: provides objective information on assistive technology and rehabilitation equipment.
- ABLE TN - tax-free savings program for people with disabilities.
- Action Behavior Centers - 100 things to know about Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- ADAPT: national grassroots community that organizes disability rights activists to engage in nonviolent direct action.
- Alliance for Full Participation: organization for people with developmental disabilities and their families that promotes integration, productivity, independence and choice.
- American Association of People with Disabilities: organizes the disability community to be a powerful voice for change.
- The Arc United States: information on intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- The Arc United States Resources Page: fact sheets on prevention and health.
- Assisted Living Foundation - provides resources, tools and guides for people with disabilities and elderly.
- Autism NOW: The Arc's National Autism Resource and Information Center.
- Benefits.gov: answer questions to find out which government benefits you may be eligible to receive.
- Brain & Spinal Cord: resource for brain injury and spinal cord injury survivors.
- Camp Discovery: provides summer camping opportunities for people with disabilities.
- Cerebral Palsy Group: offers education and support.
- Cerebral Palsy Guidance: provides guidance and assistance to parents of a child with cerebral palsy.
- Cerebral Palsy Guide: provides free educational materials, financial options and emotional support.
- College Guide for Students with Disabilities: offers financing opportunities for students with disabilities.
- Community College Review: advice on choosing the best community college for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Community Resource Center (CRC): provides basic household necessities to nonprofit agencies and people in desperate need in 20 Middle Tennessee counties.
- Consumerdangers: offers information on products and safety.
- Coping with Stress: for parents with children with chronic illness or disability.
- The Council on Quality and Leadership: provides person-centered supports and services for people with disabilities.
- Diet Spotlight: offers nutrition resources for people with disabilities.
- Disability is Natural: website encourages new ways of thinking about developmental disabilities.
- Disability Rights Tennessee: legal advocacy organization.
- Disability Scoop: national developmental disability news site covering autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, intellectual disability and more.
- Disabled Travelers: offers travel information for people with developmental disabilities.
- Drug Alert: database with information and news alerts about potentially dangerous drugs currently on the market.
- Emergency Preparedness Checklist - easy to use guide with checklist form.
- Entertainment Guide - helps families of children with special needs plan vacations.
- Family Caregiver Alliance: state-by-state help for family caregivers.
- Family Communication Plan - FEMA's easy to use form for emergency contact information.
- Guide to Teaching Fire Safety to Students with Disabilities: raises awareness and educates students about fire safety.
- Healthy People: Disability and health information from the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.
- HIE Help Center - supports and informs families and loved ones of children with disabilities stemming from hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy.
- HomeAdvisor Disability Accommodation Cost Guides: helps families determine remodeling needs and calculate costs involved.
- Interactive Planner - offers a great tool for caregivers to keep their child's schedule and routine in order.
- Jill's House Weekend Adventures - is a three-day camp experience for children with intellectual disabilities.
- Kid Central TN: resources for children's health, education, development and support.
- Musical Bridges: this program helps each individual develop independence and greater functioning through music therapy.
- National Research Center for Parents with Disabilities - provides training and technical assistance to improve the lives of parents with disabilities and their families.
- National Science Teachers Association: provides strategies and resources for making science accessible for students with disabilities.
- NeedLink: provides financial assistance to residents who qualify who live in Davidson County or are Nashville Electric Service customers.
- Next Steps: a 4-year inclusive higher education program committed to providing students with intellectual disabilities.
- OAR (Organization for Autism Research): offers $3000 scholarships for individuals on the autism spectrum who are pursuing full-time post secondary undergraduate education or vocational-technical training.
- Our Place: offers secure, affordable housing and meaningful work for people with DD.
- Pathfinder: resource search engine to find disability services and supports in Tennessee.
- Qualitymall.org: Website has a resource section that contains books, electronic media, on-line forums and products.
- The Riot: an e-newsletter for self-advocates and self-advocacy.
- SABE: Self Advocates Becoming Empowered is a national organization.
- Self-advocates Guide to Medicaid - is a handy guide created by the Autistic Self Advocacy Network with help from the Special Hope Foundation.
- Single Mothers Assistance - has links to financial assistance programs for single moms.
- Social Security Administration: benefits for people with disabilities.
- Special Needs Family: family friendly fun and special needs resources.
- Speech Pathology: offers benefits of speech pathology for kids with certain disabilities.
- Springboard Landings - provides independent living for individuals with developmental disabilities in a residential community-centered atmosphere with a limited amount of support.
- STEP, Inc: provides information, training and support services on Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) to parents.
- TASH: International association of people with disabilities, their family members, other advocates and professionals concerned with human dignity, civil rights, education and independence.
- TennCare: Tennessee's Medicaid healthcare program.
- TENNderCARE: a full program of check ups and health care services for children who have TennCare.
- Tennessee Council on Developmental Disabilities: independent state office that promotes public policies to increase and support the inclusion of individuals with developmental disabilities in their communities.
- Tennessee Department of Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities Services (DIDD): for information on available services and supports.
- Tennessee Disability MegaConference: annual conference information.
- Tennessee Justice Center (TJC): for information on health care and welfare reform that affects low-income families.
- Tennessee Disability Coalition: alliance of disability organizations and individuals who work together.
- Think College: college options for people with intellectual disabilities.
- Tucker's House: connects Middle TN families that have children with disabilities with resources and financial assistance to help make their houses accessible and therapy friendly.
- Tuck's Sleep - offers resources on Autism Spectrum Disorder and sleep.
- Turbo Tax Guide for People with Disabilities: help with filing IRS income tax returns.
- UCP Middle Tennessee: has a free equipment exchange program for people with disabilities who qualify.
- UT Boling Center for Developmental Disabilities: a University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities that provides advocacy training and resources.
- Vanderbilt Kennedy Center: for information on developmental research, sib shops and more.
- ViaCord: treats cerebral palsy with umbilical cord blood cells they collect from newborns, and has information and research details.
- VMI: offers affordable wheelchair conversion vehicles.
- Wrightslaw: special education law information.
- Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities: find consultants, therapists, parent support groups, attorneys and more.